Tuesday, December 29, 2009
1. when you find yourself in double trouble (i.e. the gift you just opened has a twin already living at your house), tell the giver he/she is so thoughtful and knows you a little too well since you just bought one for yourself last month. flattery opens the door for a simple exchange.
2. when the shoe (or dress, or top...) doesn't fit or the style is just way off, smile pleasantly and concoct a little white lie about how you can't wait to wear it to such and such an event. you can always exchange clothing for something you would actually wear...or just hide it in the back of the closet until your next big purging season.
3. when all else fails, remember that one's trash is always someone else's treasure. we are not opposed to re-gifting as long as you tell the recipient up-front that it was a gift given to you that you just can't use yourself. never try to pass off a re-gift as your own, and make sure the one you pass it to has no affiliation with the original giver.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
who: your best friend. she's the veritable "girl who has everything," and this time of year always stirs up a friendly rivalry as you try to outdo one another in the gifting department. last year she won by trumping your diptyque candle (weren't we in a recession?) with her funky christopher kane cashmere gloves. get her back this year with the quirky circus scarf from epice. with a unique and colorful motif, this scarf is the perfect accessory and a conversation-starter all on its own. wrap it up, and go ahead and take a victory lap.
Monday, December 14, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
who: your sister. she's laid back, casual and doesn't know the difference between tory burch and tori spelling. you finally rid her closet of merrell's and dansko's, so it's your job to find the right fit for her this holiday season. enter: repetto flats. the perfect little shoe for moms or students or anyone looking for a little comfort and a break from the whacked-out platform concoctions that have been styling shelves the past few seasons. with perky color choices such as kelly green and navy blue, repetto flats are the perfect accent for daytime garb.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
who: your co-worker. candles are a great gift because they can be equally bestowed upon a great friend or someone you see everyday yet know virtually nothing about (except that she likes cats as is evident by the wall calender plastered on her cubby). scents can be tricky, so stick with something classic and fresh like mimosa from calypso. it's perfect for the bathroom or a guest room and is light enough to please any palette.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Monday, December 7, 2009
who: your niece. you're the "fashionista" of the family, so inevitably it's your job to find the niece's gift. she's 12; she likes miley cyrus and selena gomez but also covets the louboutin's she uncovered in your closet. while you don't want to spoil her with a prada bag all her own this year, you can give her a little piece of fashion with this adorable nautical tank from t by wang. she'll know exactly how to layer it and may even teach you a thing or two about so-called "fashion."
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
who: your husband's boss. every year you try to distinguish yourself from all the clark griswolds out there by coming up with a truly unique gift for the head honcho. you know he fancies himself a wine connoisseur who is prone to ordering pinotage from south africa by the caseload (and rumor has it he's experimenting with a burgeoning "winery" on his farm). while a bottle of screaming eagle could turn your husband into quite the suck-up, a thoughtful little wine log will do the trick in showing you have his best interests at heart.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
who: your brother's girlfriend. she may not officially be part of the family yet, but you've become accustomed to seeing her face at family gatherings over the past eight years. she's cute, fun and has a great sense of style (what exactly she sees in your brother, on the other hand, remains a question). you always strive to get her something cutting-edge so she'll someday think of you as her "cool" sister-in-law. this year you'll hit the mark by choosing meredith wendell's iridescent leather clutch with hologram tiffany glass.
Monday, November 30, 2009
what: 3.1 phillip lim lace driving glove
who: your eccentric great-aunt. you never know what to get your grandmother's sister, but she's been at every family gathering sipping her special christmas cocktail ever since you were wishing for the barbie dream house. she's lived in paris and london and once had a brief affair with a famous actor in the 1940's. she's seen a lot in her day and isn't surprised by much, but this year we're confident she'll love the old-world luxury and charm of phillip lim's lace driving glove. it may even take her back to her great gatsby prohibition days.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
- 2 bags (12 ounces each) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 homemade or store-bought all-butter pound cakes (12 ounces each) cut into 3/4 inch-thick-slices
- candied orange zest, for garnish (optional)
1. in a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, 2 cups granulated sugar, ginger and 2 cups water. bring to simmer over medium; cook until cranberries begin to burst, 8-10 minutes. let compote cool completely.
2. make cream filling: using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, brown sugar, remaining granulated sugar and vanilla on high until well combined. with mixer on medium, gradually add heavy cream; continue beating until soft peaks form.
3. arrange 1/3 cake in 3-quart serving dish. spoon 1/3 compote over cake; spread to sides of dish. dollop 1/3 cream over compote; spread to sides of dish. repeat twice, ending with cream filling. cover, refrigerate at least 2 hours (or up to 1 day). garnish with candied orange zest, if desired.
4. surprise everyone at thanksgiving with the new dessert, and enjoy!
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
born to run: we can't tell you how much we love alexander wang's natasha pump ($490), and it is the perfecting launch pad for the rock and roll girl. put these on, and the rest comes naturally.
satisfaction: how cool are these tie-dye leggings from j brand ($205)? as soon as you pull them on, you'll be chanting "under my thumb" and channeling mick jagger while dancing to the music in your head.
whiter shade of pale: a simple top will not due for the rock and roller, so that's why the cage top ($295) from alexander wang is perfect. the slashed shoulders give this classic shape a new attitude to help unleash your inner badass.
Monday, November 23, 2009
smelly: one of our favorite go-to gifts is a fabulous candle. no one really wants to spend $50 on a candle for themselves, but it's a gift that's always appreciated. right now, poole shop has dayna decker candles courtesy of the organica deluxe pop-up shop in a variety of scents and two sizes that retail for $36 and $55 respectively.
Friday, November 20, 2009
unless you've been hiding under a rock the past year or so, you're aware of the "twilight saga" (which is more of a "twilight phenomeon" in our minds) and all the adorable, angst-ridden teens that are sometimes vampires, sometimes werewolves and always entertaining. today marks the premiere of the second installment of the films adapted from stephenie meyer's best-selling series, and we can't wait to see how the new director, chris weitz, immerses us in forks, washington. best-known for directing american pie, new moon seems to be quite a jump for weitz, but we're told he handles himself well while "protecting" meyer's work.
unfortunately we couldn't make the midnight showing last night to give you our personal take on the movie, but maybe we'll take a "long lunch" today and grab a seat at the matinee showing...
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
other than wondering what title the publisher will send as a replacement, we're left contemplating the industry as a whole. who will survive? are magazines obsolete? we're not ready to give up our quiet nights sipping wine while leafing through the latest in food, fashion or home decor, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that the slaughter is over as we say goodbye to those who are no longer with us:
Monday, November 9, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
japanese chain uniqlo pop up shop in paris (top) and recently launched gucci pop up shop in soho, new york (bottom)
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
40s: dress to impress! you were probably thinking more about maternity clothes than wearing tights under cutoff jean shorts the first time grunge hit the fashion scene, so be happy you missed that train. this time around, don't ban an item from your wardrobe simply because it appears "young" at first sight. when worn over a simple shirtdress (belted to flatter your waist) and accessorized properly, this cardigan becomes a surprising go-to in your closet. roll the sleeves to minimize the sloppy effect of oversized clothing, and pop your collar a la lauren hutton in the preppy 80s.